Aromatherapy is used as an alternative method for achieving a positive state of well-being both physically and psychologically. Using seed and oil extractions from plant leaves, true essential oils that are used for aromatherapy can be found online, in health food stores and in high retail stores. It is important to ensure the product is 100 percent natural to receive the most benefits and to avoid any harmful additives that imitative oils may contain.
Types of Aromatherapy
There a 3 main types of aromatherapy that are commonly practiced.
- Cosmetic Aromatherapy. By combining essential oils with hair, skin, and/or facial products, there are many benefits offered. Benefits include revitalizing and rejuvenating the whole body, cleansing, and toning skin, as well as acting as a moisturizing and protecting property for various skin and hair types. Commonly practiced within the hair and cosmetic industry.
- Massage Aromatherapy. The essential oils may be absorbed through the skin by topical application or through massage therapy. By using essential oils with massage, there are many holistic types of healing that take place within the body and each of its organs and systems. Some essential oils act as a natural and safe way to detoxify the body when applied to the skin.
- Olfactory Aromatherapy. This method of aromatherapy is given through the sense of smell. This can be done with direct or indirect inhalation or by using an aromatherapy diffuser. Olfactory aromatherapy has many benefits including assisting in balancing the body, encouraging relaxation, alleviating stress, and promoting a better night’s rest.
Popular Oils Used
- Clary Sage
- Tea Tree
- Ying Ylang
Tips for Using Oils
- Don’t apply essential oils directly onto the skin. If wanting to apply an oil to skin or face, always use a carrier oil such as coconut oil to dilute the essential oil.
- Avoid citrus oils when exposed to sunlight. The citrus contained within the oils may cause the skin to become more sensitive to the sun.
- A good tip to remember is that a little bit of oil goes a long way. Using tiny drops of oil may last a few days at a time.
Essential oils work well within a home as they promote a well-balanced state of mind and physical health for the whole family. For more information on how essential oils can benefit you, visit this website today.